Holistic self-care during coronavirus is a major concern for our customers. As our community works together to combat the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), Dr. Lewis Gross, a holistic dentist in Tribeca, and the founder of Alka-White®, offers these tips for understanding the disease, recognizing symptoms, and staying safe.
The Basics of holistic self-care during an Epidemic
Patients recently asked if social distancing, wearing a mask, and hand-washing are the only Universal Precautions? Familiarity with one another is our usual parameter for safe interaction, but with this virus, there is no way to know if the other person was inadvertently exposed. The virus is highly infectious in closed spaces and family members often expose one another through touching common items, so clean places like refrigerator door handles daily.
- If you have a runny nose, you have a common cold and probably not Corona, but you are still contagious so wait at least 5 days, especially if you have been exposed to the outside public.
- Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose, but respiratory symptoms can take 5 days to appear, so if you have a sore throat or are wheezing, quarantine yourself away from your family for that period.
- Wash your hands frequently with an antibacterial soap. Avoid face-to-face exposure within 6 feet and don’t share toothbrushes.
- Stress reduction techniques such as meditation and at-home partner yoga improve the immune system. Practice patience and positive thinking during your quarantine.
- Drinking warm alkaline water is a good prevention strategy for all viruses. Stay well hydrated. Alcohol and smoking are dehydrating to the throat.
- Avoid excessive alcohol and any form of smoking or vapor which can irritate the throat and lower immunity.
- You should Gurgle (a deep gargle emitting a low sound as you exhale) and irrigate sinus frequently after exposure as a preventive measure (especially after flying). Gargling reduces the viral load and soothes the throat. The virus resides in the posterior Pharynx for 3-5 days prior to entering the lungs. A simple solution of warm salt water will buffer pH, but a holistic protocol of a 5-Day Alkaline Oral Cleanse balances the microbiome better.
- If you have a high fever, difficulty breathing, or a feeling like you’re drowning, it’s imperative that you seek immediate medical attention.
- Alkaline Oral Cleanse: Anecdotal evidence has shown that gargling with diluted baking soda, salt, or vinegar works well for the flu by altering the topical pH. Vinegar causes acidic erosion to teeth so neutralize with an alkaline rinse. Alka-white is a portable, effervescent product. Dissolve one tablet in warm water.
Dr. Lewis Gross published an earlier, and somewhat more humorous version of this article in Natural Awakenings NYC Magazine, feel free to check it out here! https://www.nycnaturalawakenings.com/2020/04/01/305665/love-in-the-time-of-corona